Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sunset - Thoughts of the dying man as he lay watching the evening sun

I sat in a lonely house,
at a lonely hour,
people lived there whom I’ve known-
whom I had loved, who were my flesh.
But this is not my home
for my home is elsewhere; where my heart is
-on the other side of the grave
I’m the setting sun
-the foreteller of night
-darkness
that’s beauty or evil?
Passion or madness?
Beyond the horizon the sun is setting,
birds are returning in scores to their nests
Like drunken young memories to an old mind…
I see my life plainly
as plainly as I see the colours of the sky
Red for love, Orange for beauty, Flames for passion
The green mountains- pastures of a hard toil
The valleys my downfall
The clock ticks,
It has been ticking since eternity
Who am I – not worth even an atom?
You heard that sound?
The sound of perfect silence,
The sound of snapping,
The sound of glass breaking into a thousand fragments,
The sound of water gushing over the broken dam,
The sound of nature’s victory,
The sound of music- echoing over the valley’s and hills,
The sound of the bird leaving the cage- the body.
I’m free,
As light as air as dark as night as bright as light
Going up and up,
Who are these people- crying over the empty body?
The shades of night deepen,
Shades of scarlet, purple and inky blue
It will go on and on...
Till I reach the sky,
and be a star in the sky
Finally,
An atom in the infinite.

2 comments:

  1. Very very beautiful verse! May be we should ask the setting sun, did it mean to signify all that? For some, at the very moment, it is sunrise! Keep up the good work, Robin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! you echoed the thoughts of a lonely heart. Just for an effect, I'll add another line. Forget not, you mortal woman, death is only the precursor to resurrection. Arise, awake, and embrace the glory that is all yours!

    ReplyDelete